Developing Holiday Marketing Content, NOW
August 25, 2015 | Dan Trefethen
With “out-of-office” responders going off at an all time high, work on reviewing the first half of year, and the warm weather beckoning you it can feel like summer is going to be around forever.
But it’s not.
Soon these warm days will turn crisp and the leaves will start to fall – and we begin the back-to-school, pumpkin spice lattes, and apple-picking season. That means now is the perfect time for you to start planning your fall marketing campaigns!
You might be tempted to lean on promoting your last white paper or starting a brand new webinar series – but why not extend the campaigns you’re already running and use seasonal themes to help promote them?
Creating holiday marketing content that works
Creating holiday marketing content, either as net-new content or as a variation on one of your existing assets, doesn’t have to be hard. You just need a little inspiration, some good sense, and a little bit of an adventurous spirit.
The fall season is chock full of great holidays to choose from. Finding a day in September, October, and November that works with your brand should be easy. Below are a few of my favorite holidays B2B marketers can work with and some inspiration to get started:
- Back-to-School season – all September
- Help your prospects and customers get back to basics and get the knowledge they need about your product. Try giving them a quiz to see if they are acing it or need to head back to school!
- Programmer’s Day – September 13
- Do you sell to programmers? If so, this is the perfect day to give them some recognition! Use the month to set up a bracket highlighting some of the cool projects they work on.
- Ask a Stupid Question – September 28
- What silly questions are your prospects tired of hearing that you can help solve? Turn those into a FAQ blog post, or a “dumbest question you get about your job” poll.
- International Drink Coffee Day – September 29
- Send out a survey and use coffee to draw your prospects in. 1 in 50 people to complete the survey wins free coffee!
- Boss’s Day – October 16
- Help your prospects impress their boss with a calculator showing how using your product or service can help them save time and money!
- Halloween – October 31
- What are your prospects’ worst nightmares? Can you help ease their minds with your solution? Use an assessment to give them a good night’s sleep.
- Thanksgiving – November 26
- Why are you thankful for your customers? Use a gallery to highlight some of the amazing things your customers do.
Find a Holiday That Works For Your Brand
To find the right holiday that works for your brand, make sure it fits into one of three categories:
- Direct Brand Connection: Your company is directly related to the holiday
- Like McDonald’s celebrating National Burger Day
- Indirect Brand Connection: When a holiday has something to do with the brand’s personality or identity
- Like Sam Adams celebrating National Burger Day
- Audience Connection: Celebrating a connection your audience has with an event
- Like the Red Sox celebrating Star Wars Day
Read more about these connections by watching our webinar. Check out the webinar now!
Start a Marketing Adventure!
Once you’ve selected your holiday inspiration, it’s time to start creating content. Since the holidays are naturally fun, why not create content that starts a conversation in an innovative way? This is a great time to try new content like brackets, quizzes, assessments, interactive videos, and more. Deliver personalized, relevant content to your audience while having a little fun. Amplify and expand current campaigns with a fun holiday hook.
To help you get started, get the Savvy Marketer’s Worksheet to Planning a Fall Campaign!
The Burning Of The Socks
The Cannonball Festival
The Running of the Flags
The Spring Chicken Festival
Cinco de Mayo
Mexican Independence Day
Talk Like a Pirate Day
Wear a Peg Leg Day
Adopt a Parrot Day
Travel to an Island Day
Roman belief in the star Sirius sending hot weather down to the earth
It’s the part of the summer when we hang our tongues out like dogs because it’s so hot
Ancient Greek tradition of letting dogs run free in July and August
Julius Caesar’s birthday is in July, and he loved dogs
Buy Nothing Day
Saint Patrick’s Day